Chicago Federal Center1959 - 1964
This 42-story office building is located on Dearborn Street in the Chicago Loop. The project was commissioned by the General Services Administration of the US government as part of a plan initiated in the 1950s to update federal administrative and judiciary facilities nationwide. Begun in 1959, it was designed in full by 1964, with many changes made in the process. Construction was not completed until 1973. The chief designer among a group of architects, which included Schmidt, Garden & Erikson, C.F. Murphy Associates, and A. Epstein & Sons, Mies saw no reason to adhere to the traditional symbolism of government.